Sunday, April 17, 2016

Editorial Report 12b

           This blog serves as an update from the Rough Cut stage to a revised version of the Rough Cut.


            Since I fell behind in my pre-production phase, I went straight from an outline, to a detailed rough draft. Due to this, I don't have anything to compare my rough draft to, but I will give an update on my progress thus far. The following section of my essay is where I discuss who proposed the ban, the arguments in support of the ban, and other information on rape culture. For this section, I feel like when I revise it I should make sure that I am accurately representing their side, while making sure not to promote their side of the argument along the way. I need to make sure it stays unbiased, but at the same time accurate.


Rough Draft: Pro-Ban Section

         " On March 22, 2016 the University of Arizona Panhellenic Council passed a resolution that dictates that fraternity serenades must return to a more traditional approach in comparison to their current form. (Merrall) UA Panhellenic President Allie Patberg pitched this resolution after recently engaging in the “I Will” campaign. The “I Will End Rape Culture” campaign is a student-driven campaign that intends to “raise awareness about sexual assault and promote consent.” (Laskey) The campaign started a little over two months ago, when the “I Will Week” took place from February 1-5 that included various events throughout the week to inform students about sexual violence, harassment, consent, and many other forms of sexual assault. According to the campaign, rape culture is “a term used to describe the normalization of sexual violences in society, such as victim blaming and slut shaming.” (Laskey) The campaign received a lot of attention, and for the most part, turned out to be a successful movement across campus. Many students got involved and were willing to learn more about what rape culture is and how they can do their part to help put an end to it. Some, even many, would say this movement was inspiring, like Pattberg herself, “I decided that it would be best if I took that knowledge and information and tried to create a positive change within our individual greek community.” (Merrall)  Staying true to her decision, Pattberg was able to place her ideals into a proposed resolution regarding fraternity serenades, which was eventually passed. Pattberg mentions that there were some concerns regarding serenades, however, she did not provide any examples of these concerns or what about the serenades sparked this concern. The article also states “Patberg assured that although there currently haven't been any direct instances of Title IX violations regarding sorority members in relation to serenades, she does not want to take any risks.” (Merall) Still no hard on evidence Pattberg’s side, more so, taking precautions to prevent something from happening. The article goes on to say how it is more of the culture of these serenades that could trigger traumatic memories of sorority girls during chapter. In essence, it was concluded that “the council and its advisors collectively decided that the serenades were not reflective of greek life’s value.” (Merrall) In an attempt not to steer from the truth, I suggest giving this Daily Wildcat article a read, rather than just getting extracted quotes, but the ones provided give a good sense of what was going on and why this resolution was made."

No comments:

Post a Comment