Saturday, February 6, 2016

Analysis of My Rhetorical Situation

             Now that I have settled on a topic, Facebook deciding to put a ban on private gun sales on their site and Instagram, it's time to start gathering all my data and creating my Quick Reference Guide. This blog post will help me pull out the important details of my situation and dig deep, but at the same time filter out any unnecessary information. The following is a text-version of my rhetorical situation.

Ted Major. "Rhetorical Triangle" 1/13/2014 via Flickr.
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic License.

Audience

            After going through a few of my sources and reading the comments, I was able to get a better sense of what the audience will be like for my project. Although my project may not actually reach out to these people, these are the types of people I found to be very intrigued about the topic at hand. Looking at the likes of the people reading the NYT, one can see the average middle-class civilians that are in favor of the ban on private gun sales. Everyone here seems to be applauding Zuckerberg and Facebook for this bold move towards a safer online environment. They seems to value family first and really care about the safety of their loved ones. Looking at NPR comments, one can see all the stubborn commenters that are set in their values, stating facts left and right. It almost seems like a debate section how they pick apart every segment of the article, arguing paragraphs over paragraphs. These guys definitely keep up with the news and know a lot about the law. Then looking at those who read USA Today, you'll see a lot of people that are in disagreement of the ban. They are the gun-loving people who care about what they WANT, over what is best for the people around them. These guys don't seem to educated on the situation as a whole and only want to trade guns like it's candy. A common demographic could be labeled for this group and it would be "white male." It is sort of hard to condense my audience in one group because everyone has different beliefs, but I believe everyone fits in these 3 broader groups.


Purpose

            The main purpose of my Quick Reference Guide on the situation of Facebook banning private gun sales on their site and Instagram is to educate those fully on the situation without having a biased opinion included. I do not believe that I am in the position to tell people what's right and what's wrong, I would just like to tell them the facts of the situation and let them decide how they feel about it on their own. I feel like some people are blaming Zuckerberg only, when really there's other people included in the decision process. Also, I believe people do not know why they did it, or what Facebook thinks will come out of it. Facebook is aware of the impact social media has on everything, so their decision to ban private gun sales, will have a huge impact on gun sales themselves and how they will continue to be sold. Facebook's decision to do this now comes at a crucial time when public shootings are at an all-time high, mainly in part to unauthorized possession of firearms.


Author

            I'm a student looking to major in Business Management, so I feel like this issue is very fitting for me. As someone who hopes to run his own company, one should be aware of the affects of all their decision and the possibility for their beliefs to backfire on not only them but the company as well. For this Quick Reference Guide, I am going to do my best to try and stay unbiased and only deliver the facts of the situation. Also, being a teenager who is heavily influenced by the tech world, I know how important it is for Facebook as a business and major piece of social media to gain/lose followers because of the content posted and/or restricted from their forums. I intend to follow up on the situation and see how it has directly affected Facebook as a business, and Zuckerberg's responses to all of it. I believe I am the perfect person to cover this issue, not only because I am a teenager deep inside the world of social media, but also because it gives me a taste of what my future might be like.

No comments:

Post a Comment