Monday, February 22, 2016

Local Revision: Passive and Active Voice

            The following blog breaks down the verbs used in my draft even further by grouping into Active (General & Specific) and Passive Voice.

Art Fricke. "Dr. Fricke Explains Active vs. Passive Voice Wording" 9/20/2014 via Youtube.
Creative Commons Attribution License.
Active Voice (specific):
stripped, wondering, trading, implement, reduce, campaigning, eradicate, curb, scrambled, salvage, increased, incited, retracting, reflect, advocating, gratified, culminated, prohibiting, fueled, recover, build, gain, switched, prosper.

Active Voice (General):
lower, announced, deemed, made, dealing, try, doing, hosting, going, released, caused, called, created, applauding, arranged, change, clarify, selling, buying, prevent, ban, taken, told, lost, spread, moved, aware, influenced, seen, claim, banned, kill, face, feel, purchased, follow, running, done, commented, letting, stand, believe, deal, put, stated, using, discover, continuing, develop, test, launch, updating, accomplished, plan, arranged, say, working, prides, prove.

Passive Voice: 
is, are, have, be, has, get, were, will, would, resulted, getting, aren't, outraged


  1. After categorizing the verbs in my draft between specific & general active voice, and passive voice, I realized that my draft relied heavily on general passive voice. I wouldn't say that the word choice is too vivid mainly for the fact that I wanted to tell the story like it is without any fluff. The specific active voice verbs used, however, seem to be appropriately "vivid". There are a handful of verbs used in passive voice, but it isn't a very diverse group.
  2. To improve the overall usage of verbs in my draft, I could definitely use more vivid and specific verbs to describe certain aspects of my story. I feel like I might have gotten to caught up in trying to to influence any of my opinions on the story that I might have made it a little monotone.

No comments:

Post a Comment